A Very Scandinavian Christmas by: Hans Christian Andersen, August Strindberg, Selma Lagerlöf, Karl Ove Knausgård, Hjalmar Söderberg, Ingvar Ambjørnsen, Johan Krohn, Hans Aanrud, Vigdis Hjorth, O.E. Rølvaag, Peter Christen Asbjørnsen, Jørgen Moe, Zachris Topelius Blurb: Our fourth book in the very popular Very Christmas series, this collection brings together the best Scandinavian holiday stories including classics by Hans Christian Andersen of Denmark; Nobel Prize winner Selma Lagerlöf, […]Book Review: A Very Scandinavian Christmas by Hans Christian Andersen, August Strindberg, Selma Lagerlöf, Karl Ove Knausgård… #BookReview #Christmas
Photo: Getty Reindeer-pulled sled rides, roasted almonds, mulled wine and hand-made Scandinavian gifts are just some of the highlights of attending a Christmas market in Denmark, Norway or Sweden. Source: The Best Scandinavian Christmas Markets For 2022The Best Scandinavian Christmas Markets For 2022; David Nikel; Forbes
Your guide to Christmas markets in northern Europe, courtesy of Forbes Magazine. Enjoy! 😊🎅⛄
Berlin, Germany’s capital, dates to the 13th century. Reminders of the city’s turbulent 20th-century history include its Holocaust memorial and the Berlin Wall’s graffitied remains. Divided during the Cold War, its 18th-century Brandenburg Gate has become a symbol of reunification. The city’s also known for its art scene and modern landmarks like the gold-colored, swoop-roofed […]Walking Tour: ‘Spree River In Berlin, Germany’ (Video)
🇩🇪 THE FLENSBURG FILES
What to do in Berlin? Fine dining or doner kebab? Strolling around or a guided tour? Visiting museums or famous landmarks? We show you what tourists love most in the German capital of Berlin! Have you ever been to Berlin? Berlin, Germany’s capital, dates to the 13th century. Reminders of the city’s turbulent 20th-century history […]Travel Guide: What Most Tourists Like About Berlin
🇩🇪 THE FLENSBURG FILES
Maciej Margas, CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0
In six months, Germany has built an LNG (liquified natural gas) terminal, basically like the one shown above, as part of its plan to dissociate itself from the purchase of Russian natural gas. The first one is located in Wilhelmshaven in Lower Saxony, Germany. The vessel in the picture […]Germany swings into action!
An early Christmas gift in the face of the current energy crisis. Information about it can be found here.
An international investigation, in which the Center for Ecological Research and Forestry Applications of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (CREAF-UAB) has participated, has shown that trees and forests are “learning” to adapt to climate change and make more use of efficient water they receive. The study, published in the PNAS magazine, has revealed that forests […]Trees use water more efficiently due to climate change
Another reason why trees are important and we should not only save them, but also plant more of them. Courtesy of Ground Report. 😊
🎄 THE FLENSBURG FILES
Waltzing through Vienna’s Christmas Markets and cakes. – It’s hard to imagine that it was this time two years ago, in 2019 — before Covid — when we traipsed through the Christmas Markets of the Czech Republic and Austria. If Prague in December is magical, Vienna is resplendent. The magnetic meeting spot for so many incomparable classical […]Dessert Adventure in Vienna — Dessert Correspondents
Christmas Market in Vienna, Part 2, this time dealing with desserts to try while there. Courtesy of Dessert Correspondents.
Visitors stand in front of a projection on a tree stem during the opening of the Christmas Garden Berlin event at the Botanic Garden in Berlin, Germany, on Wednesday evening. From 16 November 2022 until 15 January 2023, parts of the Botanic Garden in Berlin are illuminated as a Christmas Garden event. Via EPA-EFE/CLEMENS BILANPhoto Story: Christmas Garden opens at Botanic Garden in Berlin
Here’s a travel tip that is worth visiting: https://www.christmas-garden.de/en/berlin/
Since 2016, the City of Berlin has been hosting the Christmas Garden at the Botanical Gardens on König Luisen Strasse, attracting hundreds of thousands of tourists annually. Its beautiful display of lighting make it a tourist magneti for the holidays. More information on the gardens can be found in the link.
Photo courtesy of CDE News
From mid-November until Christmas 2022, Vienna’s most beautiful squares are once again transformed into magical Christmas markets. The aroma of Christmas baking, hot punch and toasted almonds wafts through the air. The Old City and shopping streets are decorated with festive lights that spread the Christmas cheer in Vienna. A tall arched gateway with candles […]Austria Views: Vienna Christmas Markets 2022 — Boomers Daily
Previewing the 2022 Christmas Market in Vienna, Part 1.
This quiz gives you a bigger insight into America’s food and drink. When we think of American food, the first things that come to mind is grilling, get-togethers, hamburgers, French Fries and a good beer. Yet what about the other items that make American food and drinks great? Try this quiz out, the answers are at the bottom. If there are some other items you think should be added, feel free to comment. 🙂
- What is a Smorgasbord?
- An “all-you-can-eat restaurant” and/or a restaurant that offers an “all you can eat” buffet
- A Norwegian sandwich
- Food that is sold at a convenient store
- What is a potluck dinner?
- A meal that is cooked in a big pot
- Whoever is lucky gets to eat first
- An event where everyone can bring some food and drink to share with others
- What is egg nog?
- Another word for pancake
- A drink consisting of eggs, milk/cream, sugar, spices and sometimes alcohol (mainly rum)
- A sweet bread with eight eggs.
- Egg nog translated into German would be similar to which drink?
- What does a yam refer to?
- People whining (D: Jammern)
- People enjoying food (Yum Yum!!)
- Sweet potato
- Jell-O in America is a special pudding. What is it, exactly?
- Créme Brulette
- Wiggle-Pudding (D: Wackelpudding)
- Creme pudding
- When visiting America, what kind of restaurants would you normally not find in towns or along the highway?
- One that serves hamburgers
- One that serves hotdogs
- One that serves wasabi
- One that serves pizza
- What ingredient does NOT go into chili con carne?
- black beans
- What food is normally NOT used in an eating contest in America?
- Hot dog
- Chili con carne
- Which main dish is universally served for the holidays, regardless of which one?
- Roast Beef
- Root beer is referred to which type of drink?
- Dark beer
- Light beer with 10% alcohol
- A sweet drink flavored with roots and different spices
- What goes in a root beer float?
- Ice cream
- Vanilla Pudding
- Smores is what kind of desert?
- Ice cream shake
- Sandwich with a melted marshmallow and chocolate on a graham cracker
- Oreo sandwich with ice cream.
- What’s an ice cream sundae?
- Ice cream that is eaten on Sundays
- Ice cream that is eaten in a glass dish with chocolate, sometimes strawberry cream and a cherry on top.
- Ice cream that is fried
- What’s a banana split (in terms of food)?
- A wrestling move where you pin the person but also by splitting his/her legs in the process
- An ice cream desert where ice cream and different toppings are served on a banana that is cut in half.
- A Chinese method of cutting a fruit or vegetable with a butcher’s knife.
- a 2. c. 3. b. 4. a. 5. c. 6. b. 7. c. 8. c. 9. c. 10. b. 11. c. 12. b. 13. b. 14. b. 15. b.