After working with the three-part series on the US Presidential Elections and how it works in comparison with European elections, here is the answer key for each of the exercises.
Part 1- Ordering the Election Process
Part 2- Hybrid
Part 3- History of the US Presidential Elections:
- How many Presidents elected to office were also Vice President?
ANS: 14 John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Van Buren, John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford, George H.W. Bush
2. Of this number, which ones began their first terms after winning the election?
ANS: five John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Van Buren, Richard Nixon, and George H.W. Bush
3. Which ones were sworn in as President through the line of succession because the President either resigned or died in office?
Sworn in because of death: John Tyler, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson
Sworn in because of resignation: Gerald Ford
4. In reference to Nr. 3, which ones eventually won another term in office?
ANS: Theordore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry Truman and Lyndon Johnson
5. How many US Presidents had served in the US military before being elected?
ANS: Three Zachary Taylor, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower
6. How many US Presidents had previously served as state governors? How many were Senators? How many were Representatives of the House?
ANS: As Governor- seven
As Senator- 16
As Representative of the House- 18
7. How many US Presidents had practiced law before being elected to office?
8. Which US President was neither elected Vice President nor won the US Presidential Elections but was appointed in both cases?
ANS: Gerald Ford- He eventually lost the 1976 elections to Jimmy Carter
9. Which US President was elected four times? (Hint: An Amendment was passed to limit the number of terms to two, four-year terms).
ANS: Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945). FDR died shortly after starting his fourth term in office.
10. Which President had no experience in the US government prior to being elected?
ANS: Donald Trump
11. Which US Presidents continued to serve in public office after their term ended and which post?
ANS: William Howard Taft as Chief Justice of the US; John Quincy Adams and Andrew Johnson as Senators.
Useful Hint: When doing this quiz, I found the Periodic Table of Presidents to be useful. It consists of the initials of the President’s name, plus a couple interesting facts that are useful, including the number of terms he was in office, whether he was vice president or not, how he was succeeded upon death and lastly, his appearance on the US Currency. To access it, cluck here and feel free to print it out for your own personal use.
Should you have questions or other issues regarding this activity series, feel free to contact me using the contact details in the About page. In the meantime, enjoy the activities and feel free to share it if you like it. 🙂