Part III of the quiz focuses on the inventions from Saxony. Many of you probably don’t know that one in three household items that we use on a daily basis originated from Saxony. Apart from the coffee filter and the bra, as mentioned in part 2 of the Saxony quiz, what other products were created in Saxony, who was behind the idea and why? Let’s find out by taking this guessing quiz on the inventions from the easternmost German state. Good luck as you take a stab at the three-part exercise. 🙂
Part 1: Which of the items in the group were invented from Saxony. Choose the ones you think were invented in Saxony and explain your reasons why.
gas lantern tissue paper General Motors light bulb
mile marker tea bag sugar cookies steam locomotive
street food coffee filter personal computer daily newspaper
bicycle laundry detergent mouthwash telephone
brandy beer cap encyclopedia Bible
Part 2: Find out whether the following items originated from Saxony or not. Mark each one with a Y (yes) and N (no). For each one from Saxony, guess at when it was introduced.
- Thermos-flask (Thermoskanne) ____________
- Coffee cup (Kaffeetasse) ____________
- Pottery ____________
- University of Technology ____________
- Cassette tape (Tonband) ____________
- Wine glass ____________
- Diesel engine ____________
- Toothpaste ____________
- Cantilever truss bridge ____________
- 35 mm Camera ____________
Part 3. Choose the best answer for the following questions below.
- Homoeopathy, invented by Samuel Hahnemann in 1796, focuses on the following two aspects:
a. Mentality and physical illness b. Pills and viruses
c. Ecstasy and psychology d. the brain and the body
2. Aktendulli, known as ________________ in English, is used to…..
a. Fasten files in binders b. Build log cabins with dowels
c. Sharpen pencils d. Jack up the car in the event of a flat tire.
3. In what year was the freon (FCKW)-free refridgerator invented and where?
Part a. 1895 1935 1993 2003 2018
Part b. Schwarzenberg Scharfenstein Schlettau Aue Zwickau
4. The “Plauener Spitze” is in reference to this type of manufacturing of fabric?
a. Jeans b. Embroidery c. Baseball Caps d. Dress shirts
5. Which city in Saxony was the birth place of the ceramic-ware we still see at the pottery market?
a. Radebeul b. Dresden c. Meissen d. Riesa e.Leipzig
Bonus Question: The Göltzschtal Viaduct, as seen in the picture above, is the first brick stone railroad viaduct in the world. True or false?
The Answers to the quiz you can find here.