Saxony-Anhalt-the state with two faces, but loaded with some interesting facts and friendly faces. With a population of 2.37 million inhabitants and a land area of 20,452 squared kilometers it is the most sparsely populated region in Germany and one of the most sparsely populated areas in Europe, with over 70% of the people living in cities with more than 30,000 inhabitants, including Dessau-Rosslau, Weissenfels, Halle(Saale) and its capital, Magdeburg. The rural areas, once laden with industry from the days of East Germany, are now places dominated by nature and agriculture. Yet despite this, Saxony-Anhalt has some jewels that are worth mentioning. Cities and towns pride themselves on their history and heritage; despite being landlocked by four states, the landscapes vary between hills and mountains in the western half and plains in the northern and eastern areas, thus encouraging tourism in the region. And thanks to the new ICE line through Halle (Saale), train connections are enabling the establishment of new commerce and business partnerships with nearby cities, such as Leipzig, Hanover, Jena, Erfurt and even Berlin, thus helping keep much of the population from emigrating to the western and southern parts of Germany and beyond.
But what do we know about Saxony-Anhalt in reality? This is where the seventh quiz on the Germany series on this state comes into play. Like in the first six, the object is to test yourself on the knowledge of the state, with the answer key to come before the end of June. Both of which will appear in the Files under the page Interesting Facts about Germany.
So quiz yourselves and knock yourselves out with these Guessing Quiz questions about Saxony Anhalt 🙂 :
- Which of the four states does Saxony-Anhalt border?
a. Thuringia b. Brandenburg c. Lower Saxony d. Saxony e. all of them
- List the following cities in Saxony-Anhalt in order of population, beginning with the largest:
Quedlinburg Zeitz Halle(Saale) Halberstadt Naumburg (Saale) Weissenfels Magdeburg Lutherstadt- Wittenberge Dessau-Rosslau Bernburg Merseburg Sangerhausen
- Match the following photos with the cities listed in Nr. 2. (Hint: Two of these belong to one city.)
4. True or False: No police commissioners from the German mystery series Tatort has ever covered Saxony-Anhalt.
5. True or False (2 answers): The slogan for Saxony-Anhalt is Frühaufsteher, which stands for people going to work early in the morning (_____). The people who do that (mainly farmers) are proud of that heritage (_______).
6. True or False (3 answers) Martin Luther, the Protestant who presented the 95 Thesis harshly criticizing the Catholic Church, was born in and died in the same city (_______). His wife Katherina von Bora was not from Saxony-Anhalt originally (_______). She crafted the first champaign for him as a refresher for the brain (________).
7. Walter Gropius is famous for this (choose one):
_The founding of Bauhaus Dessau-Rosslau
_The creation of Worlitz Park near Dessau-Rosslau
_ The Nebra Arch
_The creation of the East German Museum in Bernburg
8. Which of the following concertos was written by George Friedrich Handel, a composer originating from Saxony-Anhalt in the city of (____________)?
9. True or False: Johann Sebastian Bach originated from Magdeburg.
10. True or False: The late Hans Diedrich Genscher, one of the founding fathers of the Free Democratic Party of Germany originated from Halle (Saale).
11. True or False: Sven Köhler, one of the longest tenured soccer head coaches from Halle FC, grew up in and played for the team in Halle.
12. True or False: Halle FC and FC Magdeburg are the only two teams in Saxony Anhalt which marched through the regional soccer league in one season enroute to the national stage (counting the 3rd tier of the German Bundesliga).
13. True or False: The handball teams of SC Magdeburg (men) and the Halle Lions (women) compete in the premere league.
14. Which of the following beers originate from Saxony-Anhalt?
Porter Hasseröder Gessener St. Moritz Glauchauer
15. Which of the following specialties are NOT considered a pastry?
Bienenstich Nähstänge Garley Baumkuchen Streuselkuchen
16. True or False: The Nähstänge is a pastry that originate from Tangermünde.
17. What constitutes a typical Bauernfrühstück in Saxony-Anhalt?
18. The Weinmeile is an annual event that takes place in ___________________________, (region or city will suffice) famous for the production of ________________ and ___________________ (pick two from the selection below)
champaign brandy wine sherry sect champaign beer
19. What is a Feuerstein from Schierke?
20. If legend is true (and it still is), salt is the most priceless commodity that exist in Saxony-Anhalt. Which areas can you find salt production?
21. Salt is used for what purposes?
22. Which of the cities in Saxony-Anhalt does NOT have a castle?
Halle (Saale), Naumburg (Saale), Magdeburg, Sangerhausen, Quedlinburg, Dessau-Rosslau, Tangermünde
23. Which of the following cities have a cathedral?
Naumburg (Saale), Magdeburg, Halle (Saale), Havelberg, Lutherstadt Wittenberge, Arendsee
24. How many churches and “klosters” does Magdeburg have?
25. How many bridges do the following cities have? Name two of them per city you know.
Halle (Saale): _______