Saxony- considered one of the largest regions in Germany. Featuring a cluster of former kingdoms extending from the far north in Frisia to the mountains in the far east, the region makes up almost half the land mass in Germany. Yet the region is split up into three different states: Upper Saxony (or just simply Saxony), Saxony-Anhalt and Lower Saxony. This split-up was part of the plan to redesign Germany after World War II with the first two becoming part of East Germany and the third being part of West Germany. They maintained their borders when Germany reunited in 1990 and with that, their unique features.
One of which will be presented in this quiz on Lower Saxony. The state is one of the most populous in the Bundesrepublik and one that prides itself on history, tradition, sports and even its landscape. There is so much to see and do in the state, whose capital is Hannover, but this Quiz will provide you with a starting point as to where to go for visiting and other activities of interest. The rest will have to be taken care of by you as the tourist. 😉
So let’s provide you with a good whiff of what you can find in Lower Saxony. It has been broken down into three parts, but will provide you with a good challenge for yourself and those around you. Good luck! 🙂
Variety Pack Questions:
1. Eight German States and the Baltic Sea border Lower Saxony, making it the most bordered state in Germany. True of False?
2a. Lower Saxony was officially established after World War II in ________ and consisted of the mergers of four former kingdoms. Name two of the four kingdoms.
2b. Of the four kingdoms, which one was the largest?
3. Put the following cities in order based on population from largest to smallest:
Oldenburg Brunswick (Braunschweig) Stade Wolfsburg Hannover Lüneburg Uelzen Emden Osnabrück
4. Lower Saxony is ranked ____________ in size behind Bavaria and ____________ in population behind Bavaria, North Rhine Westphalia and Hesse, but is the state that is the most dense population of Germany. True or False (just the points in cursive and bold print)
5. Which rivers flow through and/or in Lower Saxony? Name three of them.
6. Braunkohl is a German vegetable that is well known in Lower Saxony and can be served with a local sausage. True or false?
7. At Steinhuder Lake,located west of Osnabrück, you will find eels. True or false?
8. Das Alte Land, located in the vicinity of the Elbe River north and west of Hamburg is Germany’s fruit garden. Name three fruits that grow there annually.
Multiple Choice: Choose only one city that has a unique feature.
9. Which city is home of one of the three automobile manufacturers in Germany. Choose the city and fill in the blank regarding the car brand. (Hint: Fahrvergnügend is still the most popular car brand in the world.)
a. Wilhelmshaven b. Wolfsburg c. Celle d. Lüneburg e. Hannover
The car brand? ___________________________
10. Which city in Lower Saxony does not have a college or university? How many colleges and universities does the state have? ______________
a. Hildesheim b. Göttingen c. Hannover d. Cuxhaven e. Emden
f. Vechta g. Bremervörde
11. In this town (A), you can try a drink with a spoon (B), but don’t forget to say your blessings first. 😉
a. Bad Zwischenahn b. Bad Brahmburg c. Leer d. Norden
e. Bad Oldesloe f. Brunswick
a. Braunschweiger Mumme b. Löffeltee c. Ammerländer Löffeltrunk
d. Angler Muck e. Toter Bruder
12. Which city in Lower Saxony is not located in the Harz Mountains? (!: There are two different answers)
a. Goslar b. Clausthal c. Wenigerode d. Osterode e. Salzgitter f. Braunlage
13. Which city does not have a premier league sports team?
a. Buxtehude b. Hannover c. Brunswick d. Emden e. Oldenburg
14. The New York Lions in the German American Football League is actually located in which city?
a. Hannover b. Bremen c. Brunswick d. Göttingen e. Celle
15. Germany has the only true transporter bridge in left the country. It is located in Lower Saxony in which community?
a. Ostende b. Hannover c. Wilhelmshaven d. Stade e. Brunswick
16. The only combination cantilever-suspension-swing bridge left in Germany (and perhaps on European soil) is located in Lower Saxony. Where exactly is this bridge?
a. Göttingen b. Wilhelmshaven c. Lauenburg d. Stadland e. Hannover f. Wattenscheid
17. Which town in Lower Saxony will you most likely find in the US?
a. Emden b. Bergen c. Hannover d. Oldenburg e. Berne f. Uelzen
Celebrities and Birth Places: Determine whether these statements are true or false. If false, correct the statements
1. Maria Furtwängler, an actress who plays Charlotte Lindholm in the Tatort-Hannover series originates from Hannover.
2. Heiner Brandt, head coach of the German National Handball Team, was born and raised in Brunswick.
3. In the film the Inglorious Bastards by Quentin Tarrantino, there were no German actors/actresses.
4. Gerhard Schröder, the successor of Chancellor Angela Merkel, was born in Mecklenburg-Pommerania but grew up in Lower Saxony.
5. Herbert Grönemeyer calls Göttingen home. No wonder because he was born there.
6. The band The Scorpions was established in Hannover with the lead singer originating from there.
7. The Creator of English for Runaways originally came from Emden.
8. Chris Barrie, a Hannoverer who starred in the Tomb Raider movie, grew up in Northern Ireland.
9. Prince Augustus of Hannover was born in Hannover.
Viel Spaß beim Quizzen. The answers to the Lower Saxony Quiz will come out on May 5th. At the same time, another quiz on Mecklenburg Pommerania will come out, providing you with just as much of a challenge as this one will give you. Good luck! 🙂